The primary responsibility of the Groundskeeper/Porter involves the upkeep of the grounds, amenities, building exteriors and leasing office, parking lots, and other community builds on site.
Conducts all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, state and federal laws; e.g., OSHA ADA, Fair Housing, Americans with Disabilities Act, and all other laws pertaining to apartments.
· Checks and replaces exterior lighting on a regular basis.
· If certified for pool maintenance, cleans and maintains pool as directed.
· Constantly observes condition of apartment property throughout the community and immediately reports and/or initiates action to correct unsafe conditions.
· Must be aware of all utility meter cut-offs, apartment fixture cut-offs, sewer cleanouts.
· Has a “safety first” attitude not only with other maintenance technicians, but with all staff.
· Performs work area clean-up and safety related duties.
· Ensures that storage areas remain locked when not in use.
· Physically walks the property on a frequent basis and removes litter, debris, and pet droppings from the grounds. It is especially critical that the following areas remain neat and free of litter at all times:
Pool areas, tile, hot tub/spa, pool furniture.
Grounds adjacent to the road, in front of the office.
Walkways to and from, and in-between buildings.
Parking lots and drives.
· Performs “trash-out” duties at vacated apartments each day. Removes all abandoned furniture, trash, and boxes. Transfers to dumpster or storage area, whichever is applicable.
· Transfers trash and other items left outside of dumpster into dumpster. Pick-ups and sweeps area. Keeps dumpster doors closed on windy days.
· Details property on a regular basis. Cleans and rakes under shrubs; shovels mud when necessary. Uses blower to keep sidewalks and walking areas clean of loose grass and brush.
· Repairs and replaces windows, screens, sliding glass doors, etc. Performs routine maintenance on property as requested by manager or senior maintenance technician.
· Assists with various physical tasks as directed; e.g., tearing down fences, digging post holes, carrying abandoned sofas, etc.
· Assists with “make-ready” duties when requested by the manager or senior maintenance technician.
· Helps clean and maintain storage areas.
· Performs interior and exterior painting duties when requested. Carries buckets of paint from storage area to work site.
· Completes minor and routine service requests when requested by manager and/or senior maintenance technician. Follow procedures when service requests are performed.
· Changes locks, makes keys when directed.
· Distributes resident communications to residents; e.g., upcoming events, pest control notices, newsletters.
· Performs work area clean-up and safety related duties.
· Assists in keeping grounds neat and free of litter.
· Assists in cleaning available apartments and or models.
· Assists maintenance team with snow removal (if applicable).
· Report any maintenance concerns for repairs on available apartments, models, clubhouse, and/or common areas to the Lead Maintenance Technician.
· Entry level position that requires at least 1 year of experience in on-site multi-family property or equivalent field.
· Required to wear back support belt, goggles when working with specific equipment, masks and gloves as tasks dictate.
· Minimum of 40 hours per week, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. May be necessary to work weekends.
· Fair Housing certification.
· Neat, clean and professional at all times throughout the workday and/or whenever present at the community.
· Operate vehicle and driver’s license required according to community needs.
· Demonstrate strong communication skills for communicating with residents, co-workers, and senior management.
· Demonstrate ability to contribute to and foster a team approach to serving residents and maintaining a successful community.
· An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
· Hand Tools –
· Various wrenches, hammer, grips, saws, sledgehammer, snips, posthole diggers, etc.
· User-Moved Aids –
· Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, step ladders, full ladders, double ladders.
· Mechanical Equipment –
· Blowers, trimmers.
· Measuring Devices –
· Calipers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, gauges, etc.
Education and Training
· High School diploma or equivalent required.
· Ability to read, write, and speak English.
· Must have valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
· Ability to work a minimum of 40 hours per week and assist in case of emergencies.
· Can stand and walk or sit alternatively depending on specific needs of the day. Estimate 70-85% of time is spent on feet.
· Able to move equipment and appliances.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines and multi-task.
· Have occasional need to perform the following physical activities:
· Climb Stairs and ladders
· Reach above shoulder
· Grasp/Grip/Turn tools and equipment to perform routine repairs.
· Finger dexterity to handle tools.
· Lift 25-50 Lbs. Note: Lifting and carrying items over 50 lbs. should be done using assistance from one or more persons. Examples of heaviest items lifted include washers/dryers, refrigerators, A/C units, abandoned sofas, etc.
· Good Vision – frequently need to see things clearly beyond arm’s reach. Constant need to see small detail when performing routine maintenance duties.
· Able to work in a fast-paced environment with positive attitude toward customer service.
· Performs duties under pressure and meets deadlines in a timely manner.
· Works as part of a team to complete assignments.
· Takes instructions from supervisors.
· Ability to problem-solve.
· Interacts with co-workers, supervisors, guests and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
· MUST be able to apply principles of logical thinking to a variety of practical situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may occasionally involve minor deviations. Needs ability to think rationally beyond specific set of instructions
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers