QR Code Link to This Post
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Reports To: Controller
Type of position: Exempt, Salaried
Employee Classification: Regular
Job Summary: This hands-on position is responsible for all accounting functions within various assigned AHR companies balancing a need for detail with an ability to maintain a global view. The Senior Accountant will be responsible for reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining general ledgers and preparing month-end close procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify, allocate, post and reconcile accounts payable and receivable.
- Preparation of various tax reports, balance sheet schedule, P&L statements, and bank deposits/transfers.
- Perform monthly sales and general ledger closing, including journal entries and reconcile various general ledger accounts monthly.
- Preparation of quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Assist with budget development including capital projects for various departments/companies throughout AHR.
- Analyze financial information and summarize financial status.
- Spot errors and suggest ways to improve efficiency and spending.
- Participate in financial standards setting and in forecast process.
- Provide input into the Accounting Department's goal setting process.
- Prepare financial statements and produce budget according to schedule.
- Assist with tax audits and tax returns.
- Direct internal and external audits to ensure compliance.
- Train/Supervise AHR Accounting Staff as needed.
- Support month-end and year-end close process.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP principles.
- Identify and make recommendations for accounting procedures, workflow, process improvement, and internal controls
- Other duties as assigned
Education, Skill and Work Experience Requirements:
- BS degree in accounting, finance or related field preferred, or 4+ year's comparable professional work experience.
- Relevant certification (e.g. CMA or CPA) preferred.
- Experience in a multi company corporate accounting environment within the tourism industry is preferred; experience with tax, audit and business systems a plus.
- Proven experience as a Financial Controller, Accounting Supervisor, Chief or Senior Accountant.
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Broad base of accounting experience including general ledger accountability, fixed asset processing and reporting, preparation of monthly financial statements and business analysis, bank reconciliations, AP/AR, payroll processing, product reporting and contract management.
- Most time spent in an office setting.
- Some walking over uneven surfaces and through an active railyard